Tuesday, January 03, 2006

On the needles this month:



I only have two projects this month... the first one is an afghan for my couch. You can see parts of my couch in some pictures below; it's a dark moss green. So I decided to spend some money (and christmas gift certificates) at my LYS and get some Rowan Color Spray in Landscape (I think that's the name of this colorway...I can't really remember). It's yummy... Mmmm.

I just really liked the way that it looked. I think I'm going to do it about 5 feet wide by 8 feet long, on circs. What do you think, internet? I want some detail that will show off the fiber itself, so I might drop every third or fourth stitch so that you can see the fancy graffiti-like spray of Toxic Avenger green on the fiber. I knitted up a swatch last night and dropped every other stitch, but I think I want more structure to it than I saw. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions? Remember, I want to show off the fiber, but I also want some shape or structure to it. Thanks internet, YOU'RE THE BEST!



I'm also working on a shawl for my teacher; she's moving to Taipei and I wanted to make her something that would remind her of home and me at the same time. It's a very simple little shawl, done in Paton's Evita- I bought like 8 balls of it because it was kind of neat and on sale for like 2 bucks per ball...It's been in my "medium good" stash for about a year, so I figured that it was about time to use it...

I don't really have a lot to work on though; it's been in the 70s and even the 80s here in Austin lately so I don't even need a scarf, much less a sweater. Sigh, Oh well, maybe eventually.

3 Comments:

Anonymous karen said...

that rowan color spray is really interesting - i'll have to stay tuned and see what it looks like knit up. i hadn't noticed that colorway before, but i really like it.

10:24 AM  
Blogger TrickyTricot said...

Karen-

Interesting is one word I'd use, though probably not the first. In my LYS, when we all saw it hit the shelves, we all thought it looked a little like Mildew. My favorite color is the one that looks like it's bloodsplatter (am I right, or am I right?)

Still - if anyone can make it look good, you can do it Fiber Dork!

With a bulky yarn like that, I think I'd probably whip out my big ol' 19 needles and do something in a plain garter, a basket stitch, or maybe a feather and fan if I was feeling oh so adventurous.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

What about a twisted drop?

When you put the right needle into the left, wrap the yarn around both needles and then knit the stitch. It will look like shit but when you drop the stitch that was wrapped around both, it will twist.

Just a different texture.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home